I wanted to get my entry for Alex's blog candy challenge out of the way about a fortnight ago, but what with one thing and another it didn't happen. Then, on Monday I said to myself I'd get it made on Tuesday, so of course I spent all day in bed with a migraine. I haven't had one for a long time, and this was a particularly nasty one. Not only that, but my eyesight seems to be getting worse just lately, so I'm going to have to dig my glasses out more often.
The blog candy up for grabs is amazing!!!!
Here is what the lucky recipient will receive from the very generous Alex:
- A set of Nestabilities - large plain Octagons
- A packet of designer Gromlets from We Are Memory Keepers
- 5 pink glittery cards with envelopes
- A pack of flower shapes
- A 2"x12" Papermania Oriental Spice Border pack
- 24 A4 sheets from the new Papermania Signature ranges Blueberry Hill and Regency (12 each)
- 20 6"x6" sheets of Core'dinations Whitewash cardstock
- 1 Autumn Leaves Butterfly stamp
- 4 reels of American Crafts Ribbon
- Bottle of Silver Metallic 3D paint
- A wallet with Hanglar images
Anyway, I finally managed to get the card made yesterday. The sketch that Alex produced for the challenge looked particularly 'girlie' with the flowers on it, but I decided to adapt it to a masculine card, mainly because I had to make my Father's Day cards earlier than normal as my father-in-law is going on holiday at the start of June so I've got to get it to him before he leaves.
Anyway, I hope you don't think I've taken too many liberties with the sketch!!!
I started by stamping the Marshmallow DIY image from the Marshmallow Does DIY stamp set from Daisy and Dandelion using the Versafine Onyx Black archival pigment ink and watercoloured it using the ColorBox Amber Clay and Chestnut Roan fluid chalk inks.
The 'Warning' tag image was also stamped using the Onyx Black ink and watercoloured with the Amber Clay ink and a small length of Anita's tan leather sticky ribbon was threaded through the tag. The toolbox image was also stamped and coloured as for the other images.
The edges of the Marshmallow image panel, as well as all the other panels, were coloured using the Amber Clay and Chestnut Roan fluid chalk inks, and matted onto beige textured cardstock.
Two matching papers from the Daisy and Dandelion Picnic Patch paper pad were matted onto another piece of the beige card and a length of the tan leather sticky ribbon was adhered onto a strip of the beige card and then attached across the join of the patterned papers.
The Circle Journalling image from the Studio G Mini Journalling Blocks stamp set was stamped onto white card using the Onyx Black ink and the 'Best Wishes' sentiment from the Papermania Clare Curd Sentiments set was stamped within it. This was then watercoloured using the Amber Clay ink. Silver embroidery thread was tied through a hole made through the top of the circle and threaded under the leather ribbon and through to the back of the panel. A mini silver brad was pushed through the hole in the panel to make it look like the brad was holding the sentiment in place.
The 'Warning' tag and toolbox images were then adhered over the edges of the Marshmallow image panel.
I decorated the inside of the card with a strip of the striped paper as used on the front of the card and stamped the sentiment using a 'Happy Father's Day' stamp from Inca.
I also made a 'Handmade By' medallion for the reverse of the card.
Watercolouring with the fluid chalk inks is a bit of trial and error. You need to add quite a lot of water so you don't get too thick a colour as they can obliterate the stamped lines, as you can see below on the second Father's Day card I made.